No, the cows are not dairy cows. We don't produce milk, we produce meat. Please don't stand (or set) there and say "yuck". Most of Americans eat meat products on a daily basis. Whether it's beef, chicken, pork or turkey please be aware of where your meat is coming from! I won't use this as a soap-box ....but, YOU asked!
Since I'm a fourth generation farmer, it's natural that we promote what we raise. I'm not going to stand here and say only eat American-raised beef and grains, but I am going to say to make sure what you put in your mouth comes from a known source. If it's imported, is it up to the standards that you're familiar with? Be PICKY!
Okay...to make this a positive post, I dug out some children friendly pictures. We raised three boys on the farm. I've given the oldest boy his photo album already, so I'm short on pictures of him. You'll see more of the other two.
When we first bought our current house, I was pregnant with Troy. I wanted to stay home (DH worked in town), so we got the bright idea to raise bottle calves. We even had two milk cows at one time.....when did I ever have time to sleep? One summer the boys and I raised close to 100 bottle calves. Lots of bottles and lots of mixing milk. The most ever at one time was 35 calves. When the vet started calling me and asking ME about how to doctor calves.....needless to say, we had a pretty good record of success with baby calves. Like I said, I was raised on the farm and I didn't want the opportunity of having all of this in front of the boys and them being in town at a babysitter.
This small farm has raised it all: rabbits (no, we didn't eat them), chickens, turkeys,sheep, pigs and calves. My kids have witness life, death, sickness and loads of dirt and fun. No, this life isn't for everybody but it's all I know....it's the way I was raised. Raising our own food and canning for winter was something they witnessed firsthand. It's not always the most economical, but I wanted them to learn where their food came from. I wanted them to appreciate what being a "Steward of God's Earth" really meant. I wanted them to know what a strawberry was really suppose to taste like--what smut on fresh corn looked like--how an animal relies on them to live--what it's like to get up in the middle of the night and witness birthing baby pigs. I wanted them to know what the saying "dancing like a chicken with his head cut off"...well, you get my point.
We do have windmill here on the farm. It's not pumping water, but it makes a good decoration and conversation piece. I don't know how many more years it will stand up, but I'm protecting it for right now. The old barn needs to come down. It was built in the '20's and is in horrible shape. The materials used weren't the best and the years haven't been kind.
So, I hope I answered your questions. Yes, we eat what we raise and if you come to supper I'll cook you a hamburger. It probably is from a cow from our farm or if it's a sausage-burger it may of been pampered at a stock-show. May sound cruel, but it's a part of farm life. Our phiosophy is that we can either eat what we raise or go buy it at the grocery story. I'm just picky enough that I want to know that what I'm eating was raised with the quality of care we give.
Hoping that this week brings you some quilty-time because I'm sure as heck not getting any!
19 comments:
I too grew up on a farm, working, raising, eating the same as you. I left that life, and now I desperately want some of it back. Probably won't happen with my city-boy husband, but I would love to some critters...not for meat (I've grown too soft over the years LOL), but just to husband them.
Thanks for the answers. I would love to come for dinner. But could I have a steak?
I would LOVE to have a life such as yours!!! Ours is a much smaller scale, but we do raise our own beef & pork (show pigs!) and have horses and a lamb (also for show)... My hubby raises a big garden and I've always canned a bunch till last year when these knee problems began... I'm hoping by next year to get back to it coz we're sure going to miss our salsa this winter!
anyway... I enjoy your posts sooo much!
connie aka okiemom
You didn't make this farm girl a bit squeamish with your post. While I was a girl when we quit raising cattle my Dad was a hunter so we understood meat didn't magically appear in neatly wrapped packages in the grocery store.
Your stories and information about farm life is so interesting. I'm amazed at the dedication and hard work involved. And I'm very thankful that there are people like you who help feed us suburbanites.
Ugh! I'm afraid I've seen a few of those chicken dances from my grandma's farm. I truly admire those of you living the farm life. I'd love to say I wish I had that life but I'm afraid for someone like me . . who's never really done it, I'd not make it very long. I know it's a hard life but there's something to be said for putting in a hard day's work, and seeing what you've accomplished. I hate city life (and I'm definitely not in a real city!) and I hate that my son has grown up knowing nothing about farm life.
Judy L.
That pig is hilarious!!! and kudos to you for all that you do!!!
I distinctly remember when I was a tiny kid in the butcher shop, eating a hotdog and looking at the picture of the cute cows, and making the connection. I cried and cried and my parents had to take me out of there. Of course I got over it pretty quick. :) DH and I have raised rabbits, chickens and turkeys to eat. I am pretty sure I could eat a cow I'd raised if I didn't pet or interact with it too much but I don't think I could eat a pig I'd raised myself. Those pigs seem to have a lot of personality. I'll let others raise them and I'll just enjoy the bacon....
No meat folks shouldn't bother you by now. I'll take a prim rib roast over a pot of beans anytime! I don't want to raise animals but I respect the ranchers and farmers that do.
well put, Mama Koch.
You are very nice to share your farm with us...I will be right over for dinner...lol...Have a good week and remember only one more day until the weekend...Toni
What a great post! So it'll be okay then if I order a steak when I come and visit? LOL Hope to visit one day ......
(((HUGS)))
You're cool. Just want you to know that. :)
Hugs,
Melinda
Hmm. I have a feeling you've run into a few too many liberal PETA proponents. =) I think your farm sounds like a great place to be.
Thanks for the post. I think there are times that people forget that someone is responsible for putting their food on the table. Where would we all be if the farmers had enough and refused to work!! In big trouble.
I spent summers on a farm. Loved it. Not sure I have the stamina to do it full time.
I like canning my own veggies. Going to bed and counting the small "pops" as the jars seal and waiting for all of them before falling asleep.
Sounds great when you write about it. Really is hard work..........
Thank you from someone that simply adores a well made hamburger...
Amen Mama! Been there, done that, and have the shirt, pants and boots to prove it! I now feel an urge to find my own farm pics from my childhood. I have some priceless hog pics and calf pics. We raised holsteins and angus...baby calves are SO CUTE! But the weaning becomes a bit much! Try 250 at a time (yee gads) in 4 different sessions:( Chorus is sure an accurate term!
I'm actually a veggie, but love reading and seeing your farm life. If I could buy my meat from a farmer down the road who I trusted, I'd be much more likely to eat it! Kudos for the hard work you do and the lessons you've taught your boys - it's something they will cherish whatever path they choose in life, I'm sure.
hi i am jacqueline and i came here bye Judith blog.
i am also a farmers daugher in the netherlands and i know what you mean.
love the pictures of your boy's.
my husband and i have horses, he rides with hachney's and i love to ride with welsh ponies.
jacqueline
Post a Comment