Monday, July 02, 2007

Still gotta eat!

Shhhhh.....don't look now, but we've had 6 hours without rain!

The schedule for this week:

Monday-electrician finishes

Tuesday-heat/ac gets installed

Wednesday--Holiday...nobody works (but us cleaning up)

Thursday--insulation guys come

Friday--Sheetrock crew comes and does the whole house

We'll see how we stay on schedule, but so far we usually stay on it. Since it's all work being done inside, they do come when they're suppose to. Oh, the bricker may start this week, and the cabinet-maker is starting this week too.


I spent the weekend painting and caulking the undereaves and under the front/back porches. I'm multi-talented as I also "got" to run the sander to smooth out some rough spots in the concrete--where my kitchen island goes. Oh such fun.....and oh that shower felt so good that night!

But...since we still gotta eat..and I've been feeding construction workers, here is a recipe I made and they all gobbled it up.

Sweet Bread

1T yeast
31/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 t salt
1/2 c butter --1 stick
1 egg
1/4 c water
1c milk

Combine sugar, butter, water and milk in microwave container and heat till warm.
Add yeast to warm liquid and add egg, flour and salt and mix until forms a soft ball. I do this in my stand up mixer. May have to add another T of flour.

Cover and let rise until double. I leave it in my mixer bowl and just cover it with plastic wrap.
Shape into desired form and let the dough rise again.
Bake 350 for 15 to 20 minutes. My guys like for me to make them into hamburger-sized buns for sandwiches or hamburgers. Yes, they're probably considered king-sized buns, but they're really good! You could shape it into a ball and bake in a pie-tin like purchased sweet bread.

Very versatile, very good, very easy.


I took the pictures on my kitchen table as I was trying to get some blocks made for guild meeting too. If you ever make this easy bread....you'll never buy the store bought again. It's SO easy!

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

The bread sounds delicious...I've printed out the recipe and will give it a try! I can't wait to see pictures of the construction...

Elaine Adair said...

Where do you get your energy? What wonderful progress you are making - are you "on" something that I can have? LOL ... You have incredible stamina, and then cook to boot?

Linda C said...

yummmmmm! Just to be clear--no kneading, just the bread hook? I don't think my poor arthritic-y thumbs could take that. They haven't quite forgiven me for two days of bookshelf cleaning and dusting either.

Judy L. said...

We're doing better than that! We've had almost a whole day without rain! I've never seen so much rain. We're kinda like an island around here with areas to the east and west of us flooded badly.

Jo Raines said...

Yummm. I'm hungry just looking at these. Carbs are more my temptation than sugar. Congrats on the house progress and I like the string quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That recipe I just have to try, thanks for sharing. We've been in a drought here, although we've had a bit of your precip. in the form of t'storms lately which is a huge relief... you can almost see the grass smiling. ha! I love the setting for your string blocks, it looks great, not too green at all.

Anonymous said...

Hope the rain holds off for you. The bread looks great.

Quilting Pirate said...

Yum on the bread and easy! I'm all about easy!! Hoping the rain is staying away!

sewprimitive karen said...

Hoo ee you make pretty bread! If only we could have some of that rain.

Susan said...

Hope everyone came as scheduled and your house is sheetrocked by the end of the day. Then it really starts feeling like a house!

Is this bread kind of like Hawaiian bread? I love that stuff.