Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Supper is in the oven.

It's not dinner...it's supper.  I've been trying to think of creative ways to take supper to the field and I remembered Karin's recipe for Buckaroo Bundles. 

I'm not going to post the recipe again, you can go back to her post and get it and she even has pictures to follow.

She made hers into the shape of miniature baseballs.  I made pockets.  Yes, the one on the front left isn't pretty....it developed a tear and needed pulled back together!  It tasted the same.  It developed wrinkles..kinda like me.

I made half of my batch with beef (above), and then I made the other half with leftover pulled pork. (below)  Changed the shape a little so the guys knew the difference.  Don't know if the picture is blurry from me shaking the camera or trying to stay away from the heat of the oven.

Then off to the field we go.    The recipe is a keeper (Troy said it needed cheese but he thinks everything needs cheese).  They were very filling.


Here is another first I made...Red Velvet cookies.  The recipe is on the side of the box and I probably won't make these again.  I don't know if somebody else ever uses a box mix, but this one didn't have much flavor.


Just a few more days...the Lord willing and the storms stay away...we might get done with wheat harvest soon!

10 comments:

Mary L. said...

I make pockets like that but with hamburger, cabbage and onion. If you leave out the meat they are called Zelnicky to the Czech.

Lori said...

Praying for good weather for you and rain for us! (which we are finally getting today. Yea!)

Vic in NH said...

These look delicious! I'll eat the goofy-looking one for you, no problem. And by the way, your farmer's wife progress is fabulous, I love your variety!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I'm glad y'all liked them and I have to agree - everything is better with cheese! I feel like I spend half my time in the kitchen grating cheese. Are y'all done cutting?

Linda C said...

I wonder if this is similar to the runzas they have in Nebraska? Grandma added cooked cabbage or kraut to hers and made a hamburger gravy to serve on a plate. You needed to serve them out of hand since they went out to the field? Swiss cheese is good on runzas, BTW---I would be like Troy, I'm afraid, LOL.

Lynn Dykstra said...

I have come to the point where I call dinner lunch, but I will never stop calling the evening meal supper.
I love your harvest photographs. I hope the crop came in well.
We have corn this year.

Anonymous said...

@Linda J,
Made with ground beef, cabbage and onions they are the Nebraska Runza. You need to be sure though that you add a goodly amount of salt and black pepper to make them authentically. It's been years but we used to make a quadrupled batch and spend the whole day making them with friends. We took turns at whose house we'd make a mess of, lol!

Kathie (Prairie Stitcher) said...

Hi Saska: We're just starting harvest up here in WA state. Frost and heat didn't help the crop but it's okay....there's lots of grain anyway. I love the stuffed bread so much. I don't have a harvest crew to feed, though, so don't get to make that sort of thing very often. Every culture has a version. The American version is, I guess, the good old hamburger. I'm a new follower. Your quilts are coming along beautifully. Please come over to Prairie Cottage Corner and visit and follow, too, when you have a minute.

Heather Davis said...

Hi! We're so excited about a new venue that's up and coming: Oklahoma Women Bloggers! We hope you'll want to be a part of it. Shoot an email to OklahomaWomenBloggers{at}gmail.com and we'll get you added to our mailing list!



Happy Blogging!
Heather D.

www.minivan-momma.com

Anonymous said...

glad to see your work digitizing service thanks for the post &*%