I don't always take my camera to the barn when I do chores, but it was so calm and peaceful (and 50 degrees), and the sun was so pretty.
The barn cats and of course Rusty always have to come see what I'm doing. I think they're looking for a handout. None of them are deprived of food for sure.
The "Girls" also are nosey as to who is in the barn yard as they come in to get a drink. Aren't they pretty? I'm trying to talk the guys into saving a few of these for mama cows. We've had such a rough summer, we need to add to our herd.
I get an average of 15 eggs a day and with 17 hens that's a pretty good average. What I want to know is WHO is still laying the miniature egg?! It eats the same, but it's so tiny.
Will leave you with this last picture of my egg basket. Somebody tried to tell me it was for golf balls. Guess this is my kinds of golf balls!
4 comments:
My husband got a good laugh from your egg basket....I love seeing your farm pictures. We had chickens when I was little and this sure brings back good memories.
Thank you for showing and explaining modern farm life there. You do beautiful quilts, too!
My grandparents were chicken farmers. The barn was I think 5 stories high. I know that my Uncle still has the original egg baskets (and John Deere tractor and beautiful Ford pick-up truck with red leather seats). Everything has been in that barn for at least 50 years, but I remember when I was little my Grandpa would take the truck out to wash it and give us kids rides on the tractor. I love your farm photos! Cheers! Evelyn
Your girls are so beautiful. We are down to 5 funny black sexlinks who are all finished laying. I miss the eggs but I'd miss my girls more if they weren't here to gossip with me each day.
In a few months we'll get some more babies and it will all start again. Cracks me up at what the commercial growers call large...
Sharyn in Kalama
Post a Comment