I love estate sales. Sometimes they are like a treasure hunt because you never know what you're going to find. This particular sale was advertised, so I knew what to be looking for...I went armed with cash!

The quilt I bought was made in the late 1930's by a woman in Western Oklahoma. No, it's not labeled but it will be soon. I am lucky enough to be friends with the previous owner, and she gave me the details of my purchase. It's in wonderful condition and was stored so it has no damage for the age of the quilt. Hard to believe that it's almost 80 years old! AND...it's now hanging in MY living room!
I also purchased the couple's hand-made kitchen table. I'd never seen a table made quite like this and much thanks needs to go to Troy and his buddy JD for helping me get it home.
The top of this table is made from 2x4's turned on their side. The pictures do not do it justice, nor can give you an idea about how heavy the darn thing is. Okay..yes, the boyz called it a few other things. You can also see that it's NOT in my house just yet...it's in the garage. Have yet figured out how I'm going to get the thing into my house. It had to go thru a sliding glass door, and around a fence to even get it out of the previous owner's home. I do have plans for it but you'll have to wait to see what those are.
Probably a good thing that there are only a few estate sales in my area at a time....Dh has already told my boss that I'm not allowed to take off work early again this month!



21 comments:
What great treasures...I love seeing people who appreciate things like that. Real wood - there's nothing like it.
Melanie
Oh I am swooning over both items :) Way to go! xoxo melzie
It's amazing how bright the colors are!
How special to have the story of the quilt. The table is yummy. Look forward to seeing it in it's final position.
lovely finds at that estate sale! Hope you can figure out a way of getting the table in without having to remove a wall :-)
Oh my - what treasures! How wonderful to have the history on the quilt and that table is gorgeous. I have a solid wood table and every time we move I get a good laugh out of the moving crew when they ask "how do these legs come off!" LOL - they don't! And it's darn heavy.
Very great finds, indeed! As my Nana used to say - what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't desire! You would have never found these if you hadn't gone to the sale!!!
Cheers!
Evelyn
What absolute finds! Enjoy...
WOW, what finds!! You will have to tell us how it got home. Your husband's comment had me giggling.
Those are some great finds! I love that quilt! Great job on keeping your eyes and ears open to great finds.
What wonderful treasures you found at the estate sale! The quilt is just darling, and that does look like one solid table, well done!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)
What a wonderful find! You are so lucky - I bet it looks beautiful displayed in your living room.
What wonderful estate sale finds! The quilt is in absolutely wonderful condition. I should look so good at 80!
The quilt and the table both look lovely. What great finds.
Oh my, what great finds! That quilt is scrumptious and that table is a true treasure.
What a great quilt. I only own one antique quilt that I bought in Lancaster last year. It's not an Amish quilt but I love it. One of these day's I'll have to post a picture of it on my blog.
I could sit and pat that quilt for a very long time. It is so pretty. That table will become the 'best thing I ever bought' in just a few years time.
Great buys!
2x4's on their sides sounds like a VERY solid, sturdy tabletop... the kind you can stand on to change the lightbulbs and not worry about!
And how super to know the history behind the Sunbonnet sue quilt - it looks like a well made and preserved one. :)
That is an adorable quilt, and the table is nice too. Great that both are in such good condition.
What wonderful treasures. I love the Sunbonnet Sue. It's in such wonderful condition.
Now I'm curious what you will use the table for. I bet the maker of both items are smiling from above knowing that their creations will be loved and well cared for. I hope someday my quilts fall into loving hands.
OOhh what a lovely sunbonnet qsue quilt ! What a thrill to find it !!
Post a Comment